St. John Catholic Church, Rumford, ca. 1940
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This photograph postcard shows the St. Jon Catholic Church, of Rumford, on Maine Avenue as it looked in 1940.
The opening of the Oxford Paper Company in Rumford brought many jobs to the area. This resulted in a population boom that resulted in the construction of more houses, schools and churches. In 1905 a group of Franco Americans came together and purchased the land to build a catholic church. Construction on the church began in 1906 and finished for Christmas midnight mass in 1927. It was built on the basement church of St. John Baptiste and served the french speaking parishioners until 1970 when the parishes of St. Athanasius and St. John merged.