Pettengill School, Rumford, ca. 1900
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This photograph shows the Pettengill School in Rumford as it appeared at the turn of the century. The Pettengill School, built in 1899, was located on Maine Avenue. Waldo Pettengill gave the land to the town on which to build the school and it was originally named the Maine Avenue Primary School. In 1900 the name was changed to the Pettengill School in honor of Waldo Pettengill, who donated the land on which the school had been built. The school was closed in 1972 and demolished in 1976.