The lawn of Camp Durrell, ca. 1907
The large letters on the lawn indicate the connection of the camp to the Young Men's Christian Association, which founded the camp in 1894. One of the founders was John Armstrong, who bought the Seaview Inn so that parents visiting their children at the camp would have a place to stay in Friendship.The large building with Durrell painted on the roof was the central building, beyond which stretched 100 acres of camp grounds. The camp welcomed "Any boy between the ages of twelve and sixteen who is willing to advance in the things which make toward manhood, and to contribute his share in making possible the Camp Motto: 'Each for All, All for Each.'" Boys who were members of the YMCA were charged $6.00 per week or $50.00 for the entire nine-week season. Non-members paid only slightly more at a rate of $6.50 per week or $55.00 for the season. In 1907 the camp entertained 247 campers from 53 cities.