Big Squaw Mountain Fire Tower, Greenville, ca. 1930
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Squaw Mountain Fire Tower was the first forest fire lookout tower in the United States. This postcard shows the tower as it appeared in the 1930s. This is not the original wooden tower which was placed in operation on June 10, 1905 with William Hilton of Greenville as the first watchman. In 1968 the Fire tower was closed for good and was replaced with aircraft patrols. In October of 2012 the tower was relocated to the Natural Resource Education Center in Greenville.