US Peg and Shank Mill, Princeton, 1930
This image shows the workers from the US Peg and Shank Mill, also referred to as the Hardwood Mill. The workers pictured in the front row from left to right are: Kenneth Greenlaw, George Fenlason, Frank Jacque, Raymond James, William "Bill" James, Cash James, Bill Bailey, Harold Davis, Maud Foss, Ethel Cox, Emma Laney, Minnie Hold, Annie James Day (Chick's mother), and Bud Drew.
The workers pictured in the back row along the top of steps, from left to right, are: Arnold Smith (Nora's husband), Douglas Dunning (Nora's son), Charles Greenlaw, and Quimby Tuell.
The workers standing at the top of stairs, from left to right are: Willy Davis, Eda Brown, June Greenlaw, Hazel White McGraw, Carrie Pierce, Almeda Bailey, Iva Bugbee, Flossie Libby, Maud White, Francis McLaughlin, Lulu James, Gladys Fenlason (George Fenlason's first wife), Juanita McDowell, Catherine James, Ora Hold, and Muriel Bailey.
The US Peg and Shank Mill was built in 1929, and burned in 1939 or 1940. The mill was located on Lewey Lake in Princeton. It was owned by Nora Lewis Smith and her father of Brownville, Maine, and was run by her and her husband, Arnold Smith. The mill used birch wood and at different times manufactured sucker sticks, tongue depressors, pegs, shanks, and wooden spoons for eating ice cream. This picture was taken in 1930 and shows the workers of that mill.
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.