Contributed by Monson Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The 400 foot long shed, shown in this photograph, was located on Chapin Avenue in Monson, property of the Monson Maine Slate Company, and was used to store slate. Once the slate was processed at the mill, which was located at the end of Chapin Avenue, it was transported by wagon, or train in later years, to this shed where it would be stored until it was ready to be transported to market. As of 2012 this building no longer exists.
About This Item
- Title: Long Slate Shed, Monson, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Monson
- County: Piscataquis
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9.3 cm x 12.4 cm
- Local Code: MHS 110-197
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Monson Historical Society
PO Box 308, Monson, ME 04464
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Persons associated with manual labor--Maine--Monson
- Slate quarrying--Maine--Monson
- Mining equipment--Maine--Monson
- Stone industry and trade
- Monson-Maine Slate Company--Employees
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.