The Salem Towne Jr. Esquire map was created in 1808 upon the commission of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, with the intent of creating a complete survey of the land granted to John Bernard.
The map finally clarified rightful ownership and resolved all the property disputes on the west side of Mount Desert Island. Settlers had moved onto the island in 1761, clearing the forests, building homes and mills, sometimes regardless of existing property grants, often with conflicting claims to property.
A digital image of the map exists in the collection of the MDI Historical Society.
The property lines established by Salem Towne's map show the settler's names and property numbers. The lines established by this map continue to serve as the basis of boundary lines in use today.