Monson-Maine Company, Monson, 1924
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This photograph postcard is of the Monson-Maine Quarry during the mid 1920s. It shows the depth and layers of slate on the sheer walls of the quarry. Located on the top edge of the pit are the hoister house and storage/breakroom building that was used by the quarry employees. As of 2012, there are still several open pits such as this throughout the Monson area, which have become partially filled with water over the years. Two of these open pits, including the one in this photograph, are now surrounded by a fence but the remainder are not protected.