Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Samuel C. Bartlett, president of Dartmouth College, wrote to George F. Shepley of Portland, an 1839 graduate of the college to tell him that the Board of Trustees voted to confer an honorary doctorate on Shepley -- something they had done five years earlier.
Bartlett wrote, "Although not an injurious oversight requiring and apology, it perhaps justified this much of explanation, under all the circumstances."
About This Item
- Title: S.C. Bartlett to G.F. Shepley on honorary degree, 1878
- Creator: Bartlett, Samuel C.
- Creation Date: 1878-07-05
- Subject Date: 1878
- Town: Hanover, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, NH
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/11
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.