S.C. Bartlett to G.F. Shepley on honorary degree, 1878
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Samuel C. Bartlett, president of Dartmouth College, wrote to George F. Shepley of Portland, an 1839 graduate of the college to tell him that the Board of Trustees voted to confer an honorary doctorate on Shepley -- something they had done five years earlier.
Bartlett wrote, "Although not an injurious oversight requiring and apology, it perhaps justified this much of explanation, under all the circumstances."
- Title: S.C. Bartlett to G.F. Shepley on honorary degree, 1878
- Creator: Bartlett, Samuel C.
- Creation Date: 1878-07-05
- Subject Date: 1878
- Town: Hanover, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, NH
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 20 x 12.5
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/11
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.