Contributed by Maine Historical Society
R.M. Mason, assistant adjutant general of the Headquarters Department of Maine for the Grand Army of the Republic, a Union soldiers' veterans organization, wrote the George F. Shepley of Portland to inform him that he was unanimously elected commander of the Department of Maine.
Shepley (1819-1878), serving as judge of the First Circuit Court of the U.S., served as commander of the 12th Maine Infantry, then military governor of Louisiana and military governor of Richmond, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: G.F. Shepley election as commander of Maine GAR, 1877
- Creator: Mason, R. M.
- Creation Date: 1877-02-06
- Subject Date: 1877
- Town: Lewiston, Portland
- County: Androscoggin, Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25.5 cm x 20.4 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/11
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Grand Army of the Republic--Records and correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans
- Andrew, J. M.
- Lapham, W. B.
- Heath, F. E.
- Preble, E. M.
- Louguee, N. R.
- Shaw, E. M.
- Mason, R. M.
- Shepley, George F.
- Winship, J. O.
- Berry, Cyrus P.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.