Invitation to G.F. Shepley to speak at reunion, New York, 1871
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
James E. Montgomery of New York, wrote to George F. Shepley of Portland asking him to deliver the oration at the annual reunion of the Society of the Army & Navy of the Gulf.
Shepley, a brigadier general, had served as military governor of Louisiana.
Montgomery wrote that he knew Shepley could fill the "post of honor" as orator as "faithfully as you did other of far more danger in the times of war."
- Title: Invitation to G.F. Shepley to speak at reunion, New York, 1871
- Creator: Montgomery, James E.
- Creation Date: 1871-06-01
- Subject Date: 1871
- Town: New York, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, NY
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 20.5 x 12.7
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/9
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.