Slate Quarry Employees, Monson, ca. 1890
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This group of Monson-Maine Slate Company employees are standing near, or on, several large pieces of slate which are waiting to be milled for shipment to customers. Several of the men on the left are sitting on a flatcar owned by the Monson Narrow Gauge Railroad Company.
The Railroad began operation in 1883 for the single purpase of hauling slate from the quarries to Monson Junction where it was then reloaded onto the Bangor and Aroostook railroad to be taken to customers throughout the United States and Canada. Later the Monson Narrow Gauge also added passenger service.