Preparation for Upper Dam, Rumford, 1916
Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Construction preparations for creating the upper dam that would help harness the water power of the Androscoggin River in Rumford to power Hugh Chisholm's paper mills.
Hugh J. Chisholm, an entrepreneur and millionaire, is said to have seen great opportunities for industry when he first visited Rumford falls in 1882. Chisholm founded Rumford Falls, several pulp & paper companies, and created Strathmore Village, a housing community for employees of his mills.
- Title: Preparation for Upper Dam, Rumford, 1916
- Creator: Rumford Falls Power Company
- Creation Date: 1916-06-26
- Subject Date: 1916-06-26
- Town: Rumford
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Black and White Photograph
- Dimensions (cm): 11.7 x 16.8
- Collection: Rumford Falls Power Company photographic collection at Rumford Area Historical Society
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
Have a similar item and want it appraised? Check our Note on Appraisals.