Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Construction preparations for creating the upper dam that would help harness the water power of the Androscoggin River in Rumford to power Hugh Chisholm's paper mills.
Hugh J. Chisholm, an entrepreneur and millionaire, is said to have seen great opportunities for industry when he first visited Rumford falls in 1882. Chisholm founded Rumford Falls, several pulp & paper companies, and created Strathmore Village, a housing community for employees of his mills.
About This Item
- Title: Preparation for Upper Dam, Rumford, 1916
- Creator: Rumford Falls Power Company
- Creation Date: 1916-06-26
- Subject Date: 1916-06-26
- Town: Rumford
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 11.7 cm x 16.8 cm
- Collection: Rumford Falls Power Company photographic collection at Rumford Area Historical Society
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
145 Congress Street, Rumford, ME 04276
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.