Wooden Pencil Box, Dixfield, ca. 1950
This wooden pencil box was used at the East Dixfield Grammar School in the 1950's by Nelson Coolidge. It slides open and is hinged to reveal three compartments. Pencil cases were first invented in the mid 1940s and were made to stand upright with specific holes for each pencil. Multi-tiered compartment pencil boxes came into vogue during the 1950s; some also had a place to hold an inkwell.