Channel Lighthouse parade model, Lubec, 1990
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This July 4 parade float commemorates the construction of the Lubec Channel Lighthouse, known as the “Sparkplug,” in 1890. Automated in 1939, the tower itself is 40 feet high, raising the focal plane of the light to 53 feet above average sea level.
As of 2012 the light and fog signal remain active U.S. Coast Guard aids to navigation. The photograph was taken at “Flatiron Corner” adjacent to Washington Street.