Umbagog Paper Mill, Livermore Falls, ca. 1881
This stereoview shows the Umbagog Paper Mill of Livermore Falls as it looked around 1881.
In 1881 Hugh J. Chisholm came to Livermore Falls and founded the Umbagog Pulp Company. He built the Umbagog mill directly across the river from the Alvin Records Pulp Mill.
In 1885 Chisholm enlarged the Umbagog mill to two machines. This increased the mill's daily capacity from 30 to 50 tons. This mill manufactured heavy wrapping as well as board papers, which were used in bottle caps and lining caskets.