U.S Customs House, Portland
The U.S. Customs House, located on Fore Street in Portland, was built between 1867 and 1872, to house offices for the United States Customs Service.
The building is in Renaissance Revival and Second Empire styles, both of which were popular in the United States during the 19th century. The three-story structure is made of New Hampshire granite topped with a shingled roof. In response to the 1866 fire, architects chose fireproof material to form the framework.