New Odd Fellows Hall, Portland, ca. 1930
During the early 1800s, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) began as a derivation from the British Oddfellows service group. The IOOF was a fraternal organization devoted to philanthropic and magnanimous acts of kindness.
The new Odd Fellows Hall of Portland was built as a charitable act for the citizens of Cumberland County by the IOOF. It was erected in 1896 at 649 Forest Ave.
The postcard depicts the building circa 1930, when it was used as a clubhouse which was open to the public.