Old Fort at Pemaquid Beach, ca. 1900
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The British built Fort Frederick at Pemaquid Beach in 1692. Indians and French soldiers destroyed it in 1696. The fort was repaired, but destroyed again by Bristol residents shortly before the American Revolution.
It also was known as Fort William Henry, Shurt's Fort, Pemaquid Fort, and Fort Charles.