Contributed by Maine Historical Society
George F. Shepley of Portland received an official appointment as circuit judge of the First Judicial Circuit of the U.S.
Shepley (1819-1878), who had been a U.S. attorney in Portland before the Civil War, was commander of the 12th Maine Regiment, military commandant of New Orleans, military governor of Louisiana, and military commander of Eastern Virginia.
A Democrat before the war, he switched allegiance and became a Republican afterwards.
About This Item
- Title: G.F. Shepley appointment as circuit judge, Washington, 1869
- Creator: Pleasants, M. F.
- Creation Date: 1869-12-29
- Subject Date: 1869
- Town: Portland, Washington
- County: Cumberland
- State: DC, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 19.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/8
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.