G.F. Shepley appointment as circuit judge, Washington, 1869
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
George F. Shepley of Portland received an official appointment as circuit judge of the First Judicial Circuit of the U.S.
Shepley (1819-1878), who had been a U.S. attorney in Portland before the Civil War, was commander of the 12th Maine Regiment, military commandant of New Orleans, military governor of Louisiana, and military commander of Eastern Virginia.
A Democrat before the war, he switched allegiance and became a Republican afterwards.
- Title: G.F. Shepley appointment as circuit judge, Washington, 1869
- Creator: Pleasants, M. F.
- Creation Date: 1869-12-29
- Subject Date: 1869
- Town: Portland, Washington
- County: Cumberland
- State: DC, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 25 x 19.5
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/8
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.