Request for G.F. Shepley speak at Grant-Colfax event, Rhode Island, 1868
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
William H. Reynolds of Providence, Rhode Island, wrote to George F. Shepley, a Portland lawyer, invited him to speak at a "Grant & Colfax Ratification Meeting."
Shepley, a brigadier general who served as military governor of Louisiana during the Civil War, had been a Democrat before the war, but switched to the Republican party after the war.
Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Schuyler Colfax had been nominated as the presidential ticket by the Republican Party May 20-21. The Providence "ratification" event was scheduled for June 26.
- Title: Request for G.F. Shepley speak at Grant-Colfax event, Rhode Island, 1868
- Creator: Reynolds, William H.
- Creation Date: 1868-06-20
- Subject Date: 1868
- Town: Portland, Providence
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, RI
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 19.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/8
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings