Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Gov. Joshua Chamberlain wrote to George F. Shepley of Portland to recommend B.B. Eaton, a Bowdoin College graduate who sought to study law with Shepley.
Chamberlain referred to him as "entirely worthy of your confidence and association."
Chamberlain had been a professor at Bowdoin before becoming an officer in the Union army during the Civil War. Shepley served as commander of the 12th Maine, then military governor of Louisiana.
About This Item
- Title: Gov. Chamberlain introduction of student to G.F. Shepley, 1867
- Creator: Chamberlain, Joshua L.
- Creation Date: 1867-07-30
- Subject Date: 1867
- Town: Augusta, Portland
- County: Cumberland, Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 12.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/7
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.