Gov. Chamberlain introduction of student to G.F. Shepley, 1867
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Gov. Joshua Chamberlain wrote to George F. Shepley of Portland to recommend B.B. Eaton, a Bowdoin College graduate who sought to study law with Shepley.
Chamberlain referred to him as "entirely worthy of your confidence and association."
Chamberlain had been a professor at Bowdoin before becoming an officer in the Union army during the Civil War. Shepley served as commander of the 12th Maine, then military governor of Louisiana.
- Title: Gov. Chamberlain introduction of student to G.F. Shepley, 1867
- Creator: Chamberlain, Joshua L.
- Creation Date: 1867-07-30
- Subject Date: 1867
- Town: Augusta, Portland
- County: Cumberland, Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 21 x 12.7
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/7
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.