Acceptance of Brig. Shepley resignation, Washington, 1865
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley received a form letter from the Adjutant General's Office in Washington, D.C., accepting his resignation from the U.S. army.
Shepley, a Maine native and lawyer in Portland before the war, had served as commander of the 12th Maine Regiment before being promoted to administrative duties when Union forces occupied Louisiana. He enlisted in November 1861 and served until July 1, 1865.
- Title: Acceptance of Brig. Shepley resignation, Washington, 1865
- Creator: U.S. Adjutant General's Office
- Creation Date: 1865-06-16
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: New Orleans, Washington
- State: DC, LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 19.5 x 12.5
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/6
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.