Draft of Gen. Shepley resignation, Portland, 1865
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, who had served most recently as military governor of Richmond after the fall of the Confederate capital, wrote a draft of his resignation from the army on June 8, 1865.
Shepley (1819-1878), who enlisted as colonel and commander of the 12th Maine Regiment on November 20, 1861, asked that July 1, 1865 be his resignation date.
- Title: Draft of Gen. Shepley resignation, Portland, 1865
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1865-06-08
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 35.5 x 21
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/6
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.