Letter congratulating Gen. Shepley on appointment, Philadelphia, 1865
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
John W. Forney, a former newspaper editor in Philadelphia and a Democrat who served as Secretary of the Senate during Lincoln's administration, wrote to Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, a Maine native, to congratulate him on being named military governor of Richmond.
Forney wrote that Shepley was appointed "to bring order out of chaos and to shape events after the most interesting conquest of the war."
- Title: Letter congratulating Gen. Shepley on appointment, Philadelphia, 1865
- Creator: Forney, James W.
- Creation Date: 1865-04-06
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Philadelphia, Richmond
- State: PA, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 24.7 x 19.6
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/5
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Shepley, George F. (George Foster), 1860-1903
Military service, Voluntary
United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
Share what you know about this item
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.