Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Portland businessman Horatio N. Jose, former quartermaster of the 12th Maine Regiment, wrote a statement to his former commander and friend, Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, about paperwork concerning ordnance issued to the 12th Maine.
Shepley had been informed that the ordnance had not been accounted for in the fourth quarter of 1861. Jose replied that "invoices and vouchers of ordnance stores were all lost or destroyed by the enemy with all the regimental books & papers at 'Bayou Boeuf.'"
He had written informally in another letter to relay the same information.
About This Item
- Title: Horatio Jose on ordnance paperwork, Portland, 1865
- Creator: Jose, Horatio N.
- Creation Date: 1865-01-20
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Bayou Boeuf, Norfolk, Portland, Ship Island
- County: Cumberland
- State: LA, ME, MI, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 26.7 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/4
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.