Horatio Jose on ordnance paperwork, Portland, 1865
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Portland businessman Horatio N. Jose, former quartermaster of the 12th Maine Regiment, wrote a statement to his former commander and friend, Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, about paperwork concerning ordnance issued to the 12th Maine.
Shepley had been informed that the ordnance had not been accounted for in the fourth quarter of 1861. Jose replied that "invoices and vouchers of ordnance stores were all lost or destroyed by the enemy with all the regimental books & papers at 'Bayou Boeuf.'"
He had written informally in another letter to relay the same information.
- Title: Horatio Jose on ordnance paperwork, Portland, 1865
- Creator: Jose, Horatio N.
- Creation Date: 1865-01-20
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Bayou Boeuf, Norfolk, Portland, Ship Island
- County: Cumberland
- State: LA, ME, MI, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 26.7 x 21
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/4
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.