Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Gen. Benjamin Butler, commander of the Department of Virginia and North Carolina, wrote to Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, commander of the Division of Eastern Virginia, giving him additional authority over the management of the city of Portsmouth, Virginia.
The two men knew one another before the war and they had served together in Louisiana when Butler was commander of the Department of the Gulf and Shepley was military governor of Louisiana.
About This Item
- Title: Gen. Butler to Gen. Shepley on duties in Virginia, 1864
- Creator: Butler, Benjamin F.
- Creation Date: 1864-11-29
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Portsmouth
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.3 cm x 12.6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/3
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.