Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Noah Smith, a businessman in Calais, wrote to Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana, seeking information about Pvt. John Feeney of Co. K of the 12th Maine Regiment.
Feeney's wife was a domestic servant in the Smith home and had not heard from her husband for some time.
Smith wrote on her behalf to Shepley, a Maine native who had been the commander of the 12th Maine Regiment when it was formed. He enclosed a letter to Feeney that he asked Shepley to forward.
About This Item
- Title: Request for information on soldier, Calais, 1863
- Creator: Smith, Noah
- Creation Date: 1863-10-12
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Calais, New Orleans
- County: Washington
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 23 cm x 14.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 3/7
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219