Shaarey Tphiloh synagogue, Portland, ca. 1911
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Shaarey Tphiloh, which means "Gates of Prayer," served as a center for the Orthodox Jewish Community in Portland early in the 20th century and opened its first synagogue in Maine at 151 Newbury Street, Portland.
The congregation first met in the fall of 1904, and later moved to 76 Noyes Street as the population shifted into the Deering area.