Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana, wrote to Brig. Gen. Daniel Ullman endorsing a recommendation that Capt. Alfred E. Buck, Co. C of the 13th Maine Regiment, be appointed a colonel in one of the regiments of the Corps D'Afrique, black troops.
Buck already had been recommended by the lieutenant colonel of his regiment and by Brig. Gens. Sherman and Dow. Shepley also referred Ullman to officials in Maine as references.
Buck received a commission as lieutenant colonel of the 51st U.S. Colored Infantry in October 1864. He was a native of Foxcroft and graduate of Colby College.
The letter is Shepley's draft, with a note on it that it should be copied. The "clean" copy was to be sent to Ullman.
About This Item
- Title: Gen. Shepley endorsement of Capt. Buck promotion, New Orleans, 1863
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1863-05-25
- Subject Date: 1963
- Town: New Orleans
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 19.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 3/2
- Collection: George F. Shepley Papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Military service, Voluntary
- United States. Corps d'Afrique. Infantry Regiment, 13th (1863-1864)
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1865)
- Career plateaus
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 51st
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Ullman, Daniel
- Buck, Alfred E.
- Sherman, Roger
- Shepley, George F.
- Dow, Neal
- Drummond, J. H.
- Hall, J. B.
- Brier, John H.
- Morrill, Lot M.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.