Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Capt. Laurens Joyce of Brunswick, captain of Co. F of the 15th Maine Volunteers, wrote to Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana, asking for him to forward an endorsement of Joyce's application to command a Colored Regiment.
Joyce, who enlisted in December 1861 at age 36, noted that he had spent the past four years in Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida and was in good health.
About This Item
- Title: Laurens Joyce request for troop command, Florida, 1863
- Creator: Joyce, Laurens J.
- Creation Date: 1863-05-10
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Barrancas, New Orleans
- State: FL, LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 3/2
- Collection: George F. Shepley Papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.