Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana and former commander of the 12th Maine Regiment, wrote to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton endorsing the appointment of Lt. Charles D. Webb, quartermaster of the 12th Maine and acting 3rd brigade quartermaster, as quartermaster of the U.S. Army with a rank of captain.
Shepley sent the letter, also, to Nathan Webb of Portland, the U.S. District Attorney, and the brother of Charles Webb. Shepley was the U.S. Attorney for Maine before the war.
About This Item
- Title: Gen. Shepley endorsement of Webb promotion, New Orleans, 1863
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1863-03-18
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: New Orleans
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25.2 cm x 19.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 3/1
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- Military service--1860-1870
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.