Contributed by Norridgewock Historical Society
The label shows two ears of yellow corn and specifies "fancy quality."
The Jewett Brand states that corn starch was added to ensure smoothness. Contents are one pound of Fancy Maine Cream Style Golden Corn packed by G.S. and F.E. Jewett, Norridgewock, Maine, USA.
The canning factory was on Perkins Street and processed and canned both corn and string beans. The shop on the corner by the plant was used to make wooden boxes and crates.
About This Item
- Title: Jewett Vegetable Cans, Norridgewock, ca. 1900
- Creator: G. S. & F. E. Jewett
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Town: Norridgewock
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Food label
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Norridgewock Historical Society
PO Box 903, Norridgewock, ME 04957
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Food processing--Maine--Norridgewock
- Canneries--Maine--Norridgewock--Perkins Street
- G.S. and F.E. Jewett (Firm)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.