Monitor-top refrigerator, ca. 1927
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
General Electric introduced this refrigerator, with a top-mounted icing unit and traditional-looking "furniture" legs, in 1927.
The American public soon dubbed it the "Monitor-Top," after the icing unit's resemblance to the turret on the Civil War ironclad USS Monitor.
The refrigerator, which retailed for about half the price of competing models, soon became GE's most successful product.
- Title: Monitor-top refrigerator, ca. 1927
- Creator: General Electric Co.
- Creation Date: circa 1927
- Subject Date: circa 1927
- Media: Enameled metal, chrome, wood
- Local Code: 2004.090.0200
- Collection: Central Maine Power Company
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.