Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
"Just plug in! I'm always Reddy!" Created by Ashton B. Collins in 1926, Reddy Kilowatt was used by utility companies around the country and worldwide as a friendly symbol of electrical service.
Central Maine Power began using the image of Reddy Kilowatt at least as early as the 1930s. For decades the character was the face of the company, appearing on materials as varied as promotional souvenirs and notices to customers – or, thanks to this wearable costume, "in person."
About This Item
- Title: Reddy Kilowatt costume, ca. 1967
- Creator: Brooks-Van Horne Costumes, New York
- Creation Date: circa 1967
- Subject Date: circa 1967
- Media: Plastic, polyester, vinyl
- Local Code: 2004.090.3058
- Collection: Central Maine Power Company collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.