Gulf Island Dam and hydro station construction, ca. 1926
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Gulf Island Hydro Station, on the Androscoggin River 4 ½ miles upstream from Lewiston and Auburn, was built during 1926.
At its completion in 1927 it was the largest hydroelectric project in Maine, and accounted for more than half of Central Maine Power’s hydroelectric generating capacity.