Interior of Gulf Island hydro station, ca. 1927
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Gulf Island hydro station, upriver from Lewiston-Auburn on the Androscoggin River, had three generating units that provided a total capacity of about 20,000 kilowatts, much of it going to the local manufacturing industry. Beginning in 1929, Walter S. Wyman organized funding from CMP’s then-parent company New England Public Service Company to purchase five struggling Maine mills, three in Lewiston-Auburn, maintaining their presence in the local economy and their large electrical demand.