Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Completed in 1955, Harris Station was the largest hydroelectric dam in Maine at the time.
Its initial capacity of 75,000 kilowatts was later upgraded to 88,000.
The dam raised the level of Indian Pond by 20 feet, increasing the surface area from 2 to 5½ square miles.
About This Item
- Title: Harris Dam and hydro station, Indian Pond, ca. 1955
- Creation Date: circa 1955
- Subject Date: circa 1955
- Town: Greenville
- County: Harris
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: 2004.090.0004
- Collection: Central Maine Power Company collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.