Androscoggin No. 2 company, Topsham, ca. 1890
The town of Topsham's first fire company stands in front of the first engine house--on Winter Street at Quint's Stables--with the Androscoggin No. 2 hand engine. The engine was moved in about 1897 to a new building constructed for it on Main Street. The Androscoggin No. 2 was an 1850 Hunneman engine with a 6" piston cylinder. It won competitions for hand pumpers throughout Maine and New England.