Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley (1819-1878), military governor of Louisiana, wrote to his mother, Anne T. Shepley of Portland about family news and concerns.
He urged his mother to write to him, saying, "I know you are not very fond of letter writing but I hope you will write me as often as possible and tell me what is going on in Portland."
Shepley had been U.S. attorney for the District of Maine before the Civil War. It was a post his father, Ether Shepley had held before him.
About This Item
- Title: Gen. G.F. Shepley to his mother, New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1862-12-14
- Subject Date: 1862-12-14
- Town: New Orleans, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.3 cm x 12.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 2/9
- Collection: George F. Shepley Papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.