Gen. G.F. Shepley to his mother, New Orleans, 1862
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley (1819-1878), military governor of Louisiana, wrote to his mother, Anne T. Shepley of Portland about family news and concerns.
He urged his mother to write to him, saying, "I know you are not very fond of letter writing but I hope you will write me as often as possible and tell me what is going on in Portland."
Shepley had been U.S. attorney for the District of Maine before the Civil War. It was a post his father, Ether Shepley had held before him.
- Title: Gen. G.F. Shepley to his mother, New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Shepley, George F.
- Creation Date: 1862-12-14
- Subject Date: 1862-12-14
- Town: New Orleans, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 20.3 x 12.7
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 2/9
- Collection: George F. Shepley Papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.