Transatlantic cable fragment, ca. 1865
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Glass, Elliot & Co. of Greenwich, England, made this piece of twisted wire for the transatlantic telegraph cable. Efforts to lay the cable began in 1858 and were finally successful -- with a cable that did not break and strong signals -- in 1866.
- Title: Transatlantic cable fragment, ca. 1865
- Creator: Glass, Elliot & Co.
- Creation Date: circa 1865
- Subject Date: circa 1865
- Media: Copper, brass, hemp
- Local Code: 2004.090.014
- Collection: Central Maine Power Company collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.