Barter's Wharf, Swan's Island, ca. 1940
This is the place now known as the Swan’s Island Fishermen’s Coop. AKA Barter’s Wharf, Morse’s Wharf and Bill Sprague’s Wharf over the years.
At the time this picture was taken there was no electricity so it was pre-1950. Notice that there are no gas pumps on the wharf by the little building.
The dark building with one window on the left was the office where they sold various small boat related items and there was a place for the bookkeeper.
For many years Margaret Thomas worked as a bookkeeper there before the new office was built in the early 1980’s. On the right of the wharf is Roy Stanley’s boat, the Grace ’n Lunette.