Water pipes, Sebago Lake, ca. 1924
In 1924 the Portland Water District set to work to construct a new intake and conduit to replace the original gate and screen house built in 1869 by the Portland Water Company.
The pipes pictured here were constructed under the direction of the Lock-Joint Pipe Company using steel hoops, steel netting, and concrete.
Each pipe was 12 feet long and 54 inches in diameter, and weighed 6 ½ tons. A total of 249 pipes were needed for the extension of a pipeline into Sebago Lake.