Methodist Church, West Baldwin, ca. 1900
In 1826, on a lot of land purchased from Oliver Staples for fifteen dollars the original church was built. The original church was dedicated on January 28, 1827 by Rev. James Lewis of Gorham Maine. The original building was never painted and repairs were not done, when needed. Consequently, the building fell into deplorable condition and the original building was demolished and a new structure was built.
The new building was dedicated in 1856. The 1856 building remained the same until 1906 when Rev. James Potter formed a new repair committee. This photo was taken before the 1906 repair committee work started. The building now has windows where the two doors appear and a set of French doors where the window appears in the picture.