Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Dr. Jonathan Haskins used this surgical kit during the Revolutionary War while he served on board the Bonne Homme Richard under John Paul Jones during the action with the Serapis.
It contains a metal tongue depressor, a tortoise shell cased knife, scissors, a suture needle and two probes.
About This Item
- Title: Surgical kit, ca. 1770
- Creation Date: circa 1770
- Subject Date: 1779
- Media: Leather, metal, tortoise shell
- Local Code: 1864*
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1779
- Bonne Homme Richard (Ship)
- Medical instruments and apparatus
- Serapis (Ship)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.