Contributed by Mantor Library at UMF
Principal Purington established the first Glee Club in 1902; the majority of its members were women. It made its debut at an athletics exhibition in spring of that year. By 1917, the club had grown to 29 members and for many years there were boys and girls Glee Clubs at F.S.N.S.
This photo is of the 1925 Boys Glee Club.
Glee Clubs continued to be popular throughout the early history of the school with large memberships and performances at major school events, such as Christmas pageants and Easter services, as well as other musical performances with the school orchestra.
In the 1950s, so many students were interested in participating, that there were three glee clubs on campus: Women, Freshmen Girls, and Men.
About This Item
- Title: Boys' Glee Club, Farmington State Normal School, 1925
- Creator: Farmington State Normal School
- Creation Date: 1925
- Subject Date: 1925
- Town: Farmington
- County: Franklin
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 16 cm x 21 cm
- Collection: K. Small scrapbook
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Mantor Library at UMF
University of Maine at Farmington, 116 South Street, Farmington, ME 04938
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Farmington State Normal School (Me.)--Social aspects
- Farmington State Teachers College (Me.)
- University of Maine Farmington
- College students--Maine--Farmington
- Group portraits
- Farmington State Normal School
- glee club
- University of Maine at Farmington
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.