Stone Dwelling House, Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, ca. 1915
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
When the third Maine Shaker community located at Gorham closed in 1819, the remaining members moved to Poland Hill. Servings as the Novitiate Order of the Sabbathday Lake Shaker community, the Poland Hill Family took in potential converts. By 1887 there was insufficient membership to warrant the maintenance of two families. Therefore, members of the Poland Hill Family moved down the road to the Church family. In 1899 the property was sold to the Rickers, proprietors of the Poland Spring Hotel and bottling works. In the background is the Brethren's Shop, which had originally served as the first Dwelling House at Poland Hill. The Dwelling House was gutted by fire in 1955. Today, a cemetery is the last evidence of this once-thriving Shaker family.