Contributed by United Society of Shakers
From the December 25th, 1916, entry of the Sabbathday Lake Church Journal: "We were gladdened this morning by the children singing Christmas carols all around the family before breakfast. Tonight we have a beautiful Christmas Tree.
"All day was one round of joyousness and every heart here was made glad and happy. Before the gifts were distributed the young people gave us another very lovely Entertainment, Marches, Pantomines, and recitations and songs."
Note that photographs and paintings are being given as Christmas presents.
The photo was taken in the Meeting Room of the Dwelling House, Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village.
About This Item
- Title: Christmas Tree and Sister Mamie Curtis, Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, 1916
- Creator: Wilson, Delmer Charles
- Creation Date: 1916-12-25
- Subject Date: 1916-12-25
- Local Name: Sabbathday Lake
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Slide from a glass-plate negative
- Local Code: ITE 22
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:United Society of Shakers
707 Shaker Road, New Gloucester, ME 04260
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Shakes--Missions--Maine--Sabbathday Lake
- Shakers--Social life and customs
- United Society of Shakers--Maine--New Gloucester
- Christmas trees
- Christian communities
- Christmas decorations
- Christmas presents
- Delmer Charles Wilson
- Holidays & celebrations
- New Hampshire
- Religion & philosophy
- Religious community
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.