Aerial view of Navy Section Base, Portland, 1942
Contributed by National Archives at Boston
The aerial view taken at 500 feet shows the first site of the U.S. Navy Section Base at Brown's Wharf on Commercial Street in Portland, looking north up Park Street.
After growing out of this site, the Navy moved much of its operation to the Grand Truck Pier.
The Navy had a large presence in Casco Bay during World War II.
- Title: Aerial view of Navy Section Base, Portland, 1942
- Creator: Department of Defense. Department of the Navy. First Naval District. Office of Public Works.
- Creation Date: 1942-04-06
- Subject Date: 1942-04-06
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: ARC # 1142646, Box P-D 001, 12/12/09
- Collection: Record Group 181: Records of Naval Districts and Shore Establishments; Photographs Depicting Naval Shore Establishments
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
National Archives at Boston
380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.